Our learning disability-specific physiotherapy takes a holistic approach to the health and wellbeing of children and young people with complex needs. We help them to access education, maximise their functional independence and fulfil their full physical potential. Our mission is to support every student to achieve their highest potential for independent and functional movement. Our child and young adult physiotherapists accomplish this through various fun, engaging and challenging activities tailored to suit the individual’s needs.
Our physiotherapy offering
Seashell’s child and young adult physiotherapists work collaboratively with the wider therapy team, teachers, learning support assistants and residential support to achieve the best outcome for each individual. Some students may need regular and continued input from a physiotherapist. In contrast, for others, it may be appropriate for education and care services to deliver a physiotherapy programme under the guidance of the physiotherapist. Liaising with outside agencies, consultants, GPs, social workers, and community therapists is also a significant part of our child physiotherapists’ role.
Our learning disabilities physiotherapy provision includes:
- Rebound therapy
- One to one therapy sessions
- Group therapy including Motor skills and Balance and coordination sessions
- Individual therapy programmes, including developmental rehabilitation, facilitation of normal movement, functional rehabilitation and strengthening and fitness training.
- Specialist equipment provision, including standing aids, sleep systems and specialist seating and walking aids, orthotics, wheelchair skills, adapted cycling,
- Supporting students to access exercise and sporting opportunities
- 24-hour postural management in the protection of body shape.
- Moving and handling support
- Advice and training to those involved in the individual’s care
- Liaison with external agencies and other health care professionals
- Goal setting with students and educators
Our students benefit from some of the country’s best facilities and equipment to improve their learning outcomes and quality of life. Our facilities allow us to deliver top-quality physiotherapy, ensuring our students can enjoy the full capacity of their physical abilities.Find Out More
Seashell provides a comprehensive range of specialist assessment, support, training and consultancy to organisations across the education, health and care sectors. Our services are available to organisations that are supporting children and young people ages 0-25.Find Out More