Our physiotherapy takes a ‘whole person’ approach to the health and wellbeing of children and young people with complex needs helping them to access education, maximise their functional independence and fulfil their full physical potential. Our mission is to support every student to achieve their highest potential for independence and functional movement through a variety of fun, engaging and challenging activities tailored to suit the individual’s needs.
Seashell’s physiotherapists work collaboratively with the wider therapy team, teachers, learning support assistants and residential support to achieve the best outcome for each individual. Some students may need regular and continuing input from a physiotherapist while for others it may be appropriate for education and care services to deliver a physiotherapy programme under the guidance of the physiotherapist. Liaising with outside agencies consultants, GP’s, social workers and community therapists is also a significant part of their role.
Physiotherapy provision includes:
- Rebound therapy
- One to one therapy sessions
- Group therapy including Motor skills and Balance and co-ordination sessions
- Individual therapy programmes, including developmental rehabilitation, facilitation of normal movement, functional rehabilitation and strengthening and fitness training.
- Specialist equipment provision, including standing aids, sleep systems and specialist seating and walking aids, orthotics, wheelchair skills, adapted cycling,
- Supporting students to access exercise and sporting opportunities
- 24 hour postural management in the protection of body shape.
- Moving and handling support
- Advice and training to those involved in the individual’s care
- Liaison with external agencies and other health care professionals
- Goal setting with students and educators
Our students benefit from some of the best facilities and equipment in the country to improve their learning outcomes and quality of life.Find out more
Seashell provides a comprehensive range of specialist assessment and support, training and consultancy to organisations across the education, health and care sectors.Find out more