Our speech and language therapists provide assessment and direct therapy to children and young people as well as supporting and training staff to use communication strategies across different environments to facilitate their individual communication needs.
Bespoke total communication solutions are devised for each student to enable them to reach their full potential and their individual strengths are assessed and nurtured so that their communication skills are functional and effective.
Speech and Language Therapy provision includes:
- Assessment of both communication and eating and drinking skills
- Assessment for Augmentative & Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Implementation of programmes with targets that support both expressive and receptive communication development, these are embedded within their Individual Education Plans
- Dysphagia (eating and drinking difficulties) support
Students are empowered to be able to express themselves and participate in decision making using a wide range of alternative and augmentative (AAC) strategies. Students are supported to develop skills in using specific low or high tech communication tools which give them the vocabulary to be able to express themselves for different reasons and fully participate across their curriculum. This could include
- Intensive interaction and sensory communication strategies
- Objects of reference
- Picture Exchange Communication System
- Communication boards or books including PODD books
- BSL, Sign a Long or Makaton signing dependant on the system the individual prefers and responds best to.
- High tech voice output communication aids accessed directly via a touch screen or using eye gaze or switches if direct access is difficult.
- Talking mats
- Social Stories
Speech and language therapy provision also covers assessment and management of eating and drinking difficulties (Dysphagia) to make mealtimes safer and more enjoyable. This includes:
- Mealtime observations and assessment
- Provision of eating and drinking guidelines
- Management of difficulties through techniques such as: changes to the environment, provision and use of specialist equipment, changing consistency of food and drink, and working alongside the physiotherapist to achieve optimum posture
- Liaison with the Multi-disciplinary team to provide a holistic approach to eating and drinking
Our students benefit from some of the best facilities and equipment in the country to improve their learning outcomes and quality of life.Find out more
Seashell provides a comprehensive range of specialist assessment and support, training and consultancy to organisations across the education, health and care sectors.Find out more