Our speech and language therapy provides assessment and direct therapy to children and young adults to help them improve their communication and social skills.
Our speech and language therapists also support and train staff to use communication strategies across different environments, allowing them to work with the bespoke communications needs of our students.
Our speech and language therapy for children and young adults with learning disabilities (and other complex needs) provide bespoke total communication solutions which are devised for each student. This enables them to reach their full potential because their individual strengths are assessed in order to create a plan that is specific to them. As a result, each child is nurtured with targeted speech and language therapy techniques to ensure that their communication skills are functional and effective.
Seashell’s speech and language therapy provision includes:
- Assessment of communication skills as well as eating and drinking skills
- Assessment for Augmentative & Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Implementation of programmes that target both expressive and receptive communication development. These targets are embedded within each child’s Individual Education Plans
- Dysphagia (eating and drinking difficulties) support.
Students are empowered to be able to express themselves and participate in decision making using a wide range of alternative and augmentative (AAC) strategies. Our students are supported to develop skills through the use of specific low or high tech communication tools. These equip them with the vocabulary they require to express themselves in different scenarios, and to fully participate across their curriculum.
Our speech and language therapy tools cover a range of strategies, including:
- Intensive interaction and sensory communication strategies
- Objects of reference
- Picture Exchange Communication System
- Communication boards or books including PODD books
- BSL, Sign a Long or Makaton signing depending on the system the individual prefers and responds best to.
- High tech voice output communication aids accessed directly via a touch screen or using eye gaze or switches if direct access is difficult.
- Talking mats
- Social Stories
Speech and language therapy provision also cover assessment and management of eating and drinking difficulties (Dysphagia) to make meal times safer and more enjoyable. This provision is particularly relevant for speech and language therapy for autism, as it assists with the development of social skills in dining situations. This therapy includes:
- Mealtime observations and assessment
- Provision of eating and drinking guidelines
- Management of difficulties through techniques such as changes to the environment, provision and use of specialist equipment, changing the consistency of food and drink, and working alongside the physiotherapist to achieve optimum posture
- Liaison with the Multi-disciplinary team to provide a holistic approach to eating and drinking
Our students benefit from some of the best facilities and equipment in the country to improve their learning outcomes and quality of life. This allows us to deliver top-quality speech and language therapy, ensuring our students can enjoy the full capacity of their communication skills.Find Out More
Seashell provides a comprehensive range of specialist assessment, support, training and consultancy to organisations across the education, health and care sectors. This outreach service is suitable for organisations who are supporting children and young people ages 0-25.Find Out More